The Java Tour – day 6, Merapi and Prambanan

March 30, 2015

The 6th day of our tour was a day trip from Yogya. We started with the volcano Merapi where we had to get a jeep to reach it’s attractions.


The first stop was a small museum set in the remains of a house from Merapis last eruption in 2010. Most of the people living on the volcano were evacuated before the eruption but whole villages were destroyed and buried. Now some of the people who used to live there makes money from the museum and shops they have set up around the main points to visit. On display in the museum were what remained of their possessions after the eruption (including two cow skeletons).



Then we drove onto the next thing to see: The alienhead. This was a stone that was supposed to resemble the head of an alien. I think this was just another case of trying to crate a tourist attraction to get people to pay for the entry permit for the volcano.


Then we drove up to the last stop: The bunker. This was a bunker in which two people were killed during the eruption, the door apparently didn’t hold against the power of the volcano. Overall the volcano was interesting to see as it’s active and still have a big impact on peoples life. We also enjoyed the jeep drive and the landscape.


We left Merapi to go to Prambanan, Javas biggest hindu temple. On the way there it started raining, and this time we weren’t as lucky with the weather as we had been earlier in the week; it was still pouring down when we reached Prambanan. We put on our waterproofs and had a meal hoping the rain would soon stop, however it didn’t and we had our guided tour in the rain.


Our guide was really good, he told us about hinduism and the different temples in the complex.


He also told us some of the hindu stories that were carved on the walls.



After the temple we went back to Yogya where we had dinner at ViaVia, also on the same street as we were staying on. The next day was the final day of our tour and we decided to stay in Yogya a couple of days more after that, but to change hotels. The hotel we were at were ok, our room had two big beds so we had a lot of space but the staff didn’t speak much English and weren’t too helpful, we could only communicate with them through Bambang and he was leaving the next day. So in the evening we walked down the street and checked out all the other hotels. The one that appealed the most to us was Duta Guesthouse. The staff there were really nice and the hotel had a lovely courtyard with a pool. The room was fine, only it had two very small single beds instead of the doubles at the other hotel. We got a good price, 175 000 Rp/night, and made a reservation from the next day for two nights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>